Human Values and Professional Ethics
1. We are now faced with major problems of Crime, Terrorism, Violence, War, Corruption, Exploitation, Domination etc. Any effort to combat these, ultimately tend to aggravate them. This has been the experience particularly of last few decades. For example, the crime is ever on the increase, despite all our IPC, Police and jails.
2. What is the Solution?
3. All these problems are the reflection of one basic problem-
Lack of Definiteness of Human Conduct
Every Unit in Nature has a definite conduct (by which it is identified), Except Human Being. So, the Solution to all these problems is one- Ensuring Human Conduct - its understanding (clarity), acceptance, commitment, preparation, fulfillment, evaluation, satisfaction drawn out of it
To maintain its continuity from generation to generation, Ensuring Human Education, Human Constitution, Human Order.
This necessarily requires Understanding of- Human Being, Humanness, Human Conduct, Human Education, Human Constitution, Human Order.
4. In both the prevalent World Views- Materialism and Spiritualism- Human Being, Humanness, Human Conduct have not been identified in its completeness.
At the center of one (Materialism) was Physical Facilities while
at the center of other (Spiritualism) was God or gods. Human being was undermined in both; one ended up in declaring Accumulation of Wealth (Suvidha- Sangrah) as the ultimate aim of life while the other as adoration of God (Bhakti-Virakti).
It is necessary to study or explore into Human being itself, in order to understand Human (it is not possible to understand human being on the basis of study of physio-chemical things, plants or even animals).
4.1. A self study into human being, reveals that-
• Human is co-existence of I (Self) and Body. There is exchange of information between the two. Body acts according to the decision of I and sensation taking place in body is received as an information by the I.
• Basic needs of Human are Happiness and Physical facilities. Happiness is the need of I while Physical facilities is the need of the body. The need of Happiness is continuous while the need of physical facilities is limited in time and quantity (e.g. need of food for body is limited in quantity and is required when one feels hungry).
• Need of Happiness is fulfilled by Right understanding and right feelings while the need of Physical facilities is fulfilled by physical things.
|Fulfilled by||Right Understanding Right Feelings||Physical Things|
4.2. Self study of happiness shows that –
To live in Harmony is Happiness and To be forced to live in disharmony/Contradiction is Unhappiness. In whatever state or situation we are in, if there is Harmony in that state or situation, there is a Natural Acceptance for it. To be in a state of Natural Acceptance is Happiness. Hence, To be in a state which is Naturally Acceptable to Human is Happiness; To be forced to be in a state which is not Naturally Acceptable to Human is Unhappiness. This implies that the fundamental issue is to investigate into Natural Acceptance of Human. Investigation reveals that Natural Acceptance is-
• Universal- w.r.t. Space, Time & Individual
• Natural for Human, Nature & Existence- it can be understood by every human, it can be lived by every human, it gives a feeling of self-assurance and satisfaction; and there is all the provision in Nature for its fulfillment.
For example, verify for your self -
• What is Naturally Acceptable to you- To live in relationship or in opposition?
• What is Naturally Acceptable to you- To Nurture the other or to Exploit the other?
Find out- What is Naturally Acceptable to you?- irregard of the fact that you might be doing something quite opposite of it.
If there is Harmony between What is Naturally Acceptable to you and What you are (in terms of your thought, behaviour & work), then, you are Happy. If there is Disharmony/Contradiction between the two, you are Unhappy.
4.3 Human can verify what is Right, on the basis of his Natural Acceptance (What is Naturally Acceptable is Right) and hence can know on the basis of his Natural Acceptance. He can fulfill it in his behaviour and work.
4.4 Humanness:On the basis of the self-study of human above, the Essence of Humanness can be understood. Humanness includes Gyan, Vivek, Vigyan (Knowledge, Wisdom & Science).
• Gyan (Knowledge)- Human can insure knowledge on the basis of his natural acceptance.
Knowledge of the Sel
Knowledge of the Existence
Knowledge of Human conduct
• Vivek (Wisdom)- On the basis of Knowledge, the wisdom to decide the human Target is achieved. This human target is identified as
(Right Understanding) (Prosperity) (Fearlessness) (Co-existence) in every individual in every family in society in nature/existence
5. Human Conduct-
On the basis of understanding of Human, Humanness and on the basis of Gyan, Vivek, Vigyan, Human Conduct can be well defined as follows- Human Conduct- Value (Mulya), Policy (Niti), Character (Charitra)
• Value (Mulya)- The Emotions or feelings (Bhav) which are naturally acceptable to human in oneself and in relationship is called Swabhav (Intrinsicness). This Swabhav is intrinsic (Maulik) to relationship and hence is called Value (Mulya).These values can be well identified in Human living. For example
Jivan Mulya- Happiness, Peace, Satisfaction, Bliss
Sthapit Mulya in relationship- Trust, Respect, Affection, Love etc.
Vastu Mulya- Utility, Aesthetic
• Policy (Niti)- Thought process for the fulfillment of the Human values, which includes Plan, Program, Implementation, Results, Evaluation. It is seen as Artha Niti, Rajya Niti, Dharma Niti.
• Character (Charitra)- It relates to fulfillment in mutual relationship expressed with the body. It is identified as
On the basis of knowledge (Gyan) in the self, one is able to clearly identify the values (Mulya) and is able to see that it is naturally acceptable to him to live with these values; that by living with these values gives him Happiness. Consequently, all his thoughts, imaginations (Policy) are in accordance with these values and he expresses them in his mutual relationship with Human being as well as rest of the nature (Character). Therefore to live with these values becomes natural for him and to live otherwise is unnatural. By doing this he ensures Happiness and Prosperity, otherwise he suffers from Unhappiness and Deprivation.
On the basis of this he obtains continuity of living with satisfaction in the self and continuity of living with mutual satisfaction in relationship. This prepares the ground for realization of Human civilization (Manviya Parampara).
6. Manviya Parampara (Human civilization)
It is only on the basis of the understanding of human conduct, its acceptance, commitment, fulfillment leading to mutual satisfaction, that all the four dimensions of Human civilization can be understood and ensured-
• Human Conduct
• Human Education- Process to ensure the understanding of human conduct and commitment to live in accordance to it, from generation to generation. To understand and to live in Harmony at all levels from self to entire existence is human Education.
• Human Constitution- The framework of human living in harmony within himself and in Harmony with entire existence is Human Constitution. It is knowing, acceptance, recognition and fulfillment of relationship of Human with Human as well as rest of the nature leading to mutual Happiness and Prosperity in human being (Enrichment, Protection and right Utilization) of rest of the nature
• Human Order - Realisation of harmony of human with entire existence, in behaviour, work and participation in self organisation from family to world family is human order.
There are 5 dimension of Universal Human order
Fulfillment of these five dimensions at the level of Family to World family results into Undivided society and Universal order This ensures the realization and continuity of human civilization.